Monday, March 21, 2011

DIY Tutorial : Framed Embroidery Hoops

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithinHey Friends! Just wanted to share with you today a how-to on Framed Embroidery Hoops! Framed Embroidery Hoops are every where, they make great gifts, wall art, and a perfect way to show off your embroidery! I'm sure most methods are quite similar but I haven't seen anyone back their hoops like I do so I thought I'd teach you how! 

Adding a little piece of backing fabric helps to create a little finished piece of art work and it's just a nice detail! Plus it really helps to add some sturdiness to your hoop, especially if you're framing a thinner cotton or making patchwork hoops. 














So here we go: 

1. After you've finished up the embroidery you plan to hoop, cut a piece of cotton fabric to fit in your hoop, I usually just use my finished embroidery as a guide for size. You don't often find me measuring things! ;) (thinner fabric works best for backing in this method).  


2. Place your backing fabric front size down on top of your inner hoop, lay your finished embroidery finished size up on top of your backing fabric, and attach your top hoop. 


3. Once you have all your fabrics in place and your hoop tightened down, pull the edges of your backing fabric to get it nice & taunt and then do the same with your embroidered top piece. Tighten down your main hoop once again so everything is snug and in place. 


4. Next trim down your backing fabric so that it is level with your inner hoop. Since everything is snug & in place you won't need to glue this fabric down since your outer fabric will hold it in place just fine. 


5. Then decide whether you need to trim your top fabric - I like mine to just cover the rim of my hoop but not go all the way down to my backing fabric. I just think it looks neater this way. So trim down your remaining edge so it is about a half inch and enough to go over the edge of your hoop. 


6. Time to start gluing! I start from the screw at the top of the hoop and work my way around the circle doing 2 to 3 inches at a time. I like to use good ol' Aleene's Tacky Glue - it's well, very tacky and stays in place great! Be sure you're framing a piece you'd like to stay in the frame because you probably won't be able to remove it easily! 


- I like to do a bead of glue on the very edge of the hoop and then a lighter line of glue on the hoop wall - the glue there I spread out with my finger so you get less glue oozing from the bottom. Begin pressing your fabric down and hold in place for several seconds until the glue starts to bond - keep working all the way around your hoop. You may have a few places that pop back up or some larger folds once you finish but just go back around your hoop smoothing things down and holding for a bit longer if necessary. 

Voila! You've got a nice little finished framed embroidery hoop.


Hope this was helpful! If you have any finished embroidery hoops or other crafty goodness that you'd like to share, post them to the Lova Revolutionary : Blog Pool on Flickr!

5 comments:

Eileen {bluebirdluxe} said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I had the background piece, but didn't think to trim the background. :) I'm going to try that glue. Have you ever used Gutermann textile glue? That's what I was thinking of using. Glad I found you, I'm enjoying your blog!

Jodie / Lova Revolutionary said...

Thanks for your comment Eileen! I find it easier to trim the background since it will be secured in the hoop so then you don't have to try to glue the two pieces of fabric together as well. It's much easier to secure the one piece of fabric to the hoop. I have not tried Gutermann glue, is it available at most craft stores? I love Aleene's for almost everything! Other glues seem to make the fabric to saturated and it looks kind of wet still after it dries. Aleene's cleans up nicely too and its readily available of course! Thanks for visiting!

Ducky said...

This is very helpful. Thanks!

Megan H Carroll said...

wow that looks so nice... I was finishing with felt but it takes such a long time, it actually puts me off making more...

Christina said...

So simple. I had a "why didn't I think of this?" moment. Thanks a bunch.